Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Blast From The Past

Remember these scrunch boots from the '80's? I do. We all had them, and, boy, did we think we were cool!
As you know, I had a fun girls' night out last night. I got together with three of my friends from high school. It's hard to believe we've been friends for over twenty years, and I'd have to say, we haven't changed a bit! Our shoes may have, but not our personalities.
As we were reminiscing about things that happened during our teenage years, I realized where my characters came from. Since I write YA, most of my characters are teenagers, and obvious reflections of not only me as a teenager, but also my friends. It was almost as if my characters came to life last night. It was amazing. I also came home with some great ideas for improving my characters.
Where do your characters come from?
Don't forget to join in on the Slumpbuster Challenge. Click on the penguin in the sidebar to add a sentence.

8 comments:

Stephanie McGee said...

I have one character that is a lot like me. But I think that I put a little bit of me into every character I write. One character sighing over another character's wedding ring, that's me. I used to have a fake ring that I wore to work and I'd wear it just around the house from time to time. I live in a culture that is very marriage-focused and you can really feel ostracized if you're over a certain age (read 19) and not married.

Shorty said...

I can't say that I've got any characters currently brewing, but IF I were to have a character or two, then they would definitely come from my past friend & family relationships. There would be a bunch of crazy people, a few old wise men and a socialite or two. How could I make that come together???

Stephanie McGee said...

That would make for a most interesting story, Shorty.

Lillian Robinson said...

The main character of my book is a blend of me and my best friend. Not that she reacts the way I do, but sometimes the way I would like to be able to react. It's a chance to live in a fantasy world!

Katie Salidas said...

I call my characters from a lot of my old friends. It's kind of like a reunion at times when I get them all in the same scene. LoL.

Deb said...

I think my characters are blends of people that I know. With a characteristic of my own thrown in here and there.

Susan R. Mills said...

It sounds like all of us take things from the people we know to develop our characters.

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Those were from the 80's? Man time flies.

My characters come from everywhere and are usually a mixture of several realities and a little imagination all rolled up into each character. It's fun to puzzle them together.