Friday, July 10, 2009

Are These For Real?

Have you ever been reading a book and come across a part that is so unbelievable that it jolts you out of the story? Well, my mom did, and unfortunately, it was when she was reading my ms!
There is a scene where my mc's mother reacts in a way that is entirely unexpected. She does something that most mothers would never even consider doing. There is a reason for her actions, but that reason isn't revealed until later in the book.
I had to do something about this. I couldn't have my readers jolted out of the story, now could I? So I reordered the chapters, which also meant a great deal of revision, and revealed the reason for her actions sooner.
In this case, timing really was everything!
Speaking of timing, it's time for something to happen in Mooch's story. Click on the penguin in the sidebar to add the next sentence.
Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least your Mom was able to point that out for you. It's hard as a writer to spot these things in one's own writing.

Karen M. Peterson said...

It's great that you had just the right person reading the ms. Sometimes it's hard for me to be told that something isn't working, but it always works out for the better.

Ana - The Writer Today said...

I think having another pair of "eyes" read what you write is a big help, as long as it is someone you trust. Who better than a "mom"?

Deb said...

Having other people read your work is essential! What's really interesting is that each person will see something different.

B.J. Anderson said...

Good point on keeping the character in the book. I have a tendancy to do this, so thank goodness for beta readers!!

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Wow, that must have been a lot of revision for your book. That's always so hard for me. It's great to have other people to see our work from an outside perspective to help make it better and make it flow.

Jody Hedlund said...

Great point! We definitely need to give even our minor characters motivation for the things that they do, hints early that will make the things they do seem natural.

Susan R. Mills said...

Struggling Writer,
It's amazing what I miss in my own writing.

Karen,
Yes, it is hard to hear when someone says your "stuff" isn't working, but in the long run, it's for the best!

Ana,
Mom's are great, as long as they quit thinking their kids are perfect. :)

Strange Fiction,
You are so right. Everyone catches something different.

B.J.,
I don't have any Beta Readers, but I'd like to. Any advice on finding some????

Cindy,
Yes, it was a month of revision, and I still catch things that aren't right because of the changes I've made. Eventually, though, I hope to get all the kinks worked out!

Jody,
I love that you got the point I was trying to make. Our characters have to be believable, and in order to be, they have to have motivation for the things they do. If the reader doesn't get the motivation, they aren't going to understand the character.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'm glad your Mom was honest enough to point that out at least.

Sharon McPherson said...

Hi

I too let my mum read a few chapters of my ms and I think I jolted her out of her shoes, let alone the story!

I had to remind her that the shenanigans of the heroine 'is not me'. It's fiction.

Thanks, by the way for your comments on my blog.