Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stopping To Tie My Shoes

I wouldn't want my laces to trip me up, now would I? Every once in a while, we need to quit running full speed ahead and take care of the little details that might be holding us back. Right now, for me, those details involve laundry, dishes, Christmas shopping and decorating, dirty toilets and dusty dressers... you get my point. Even more importantly, my new WIP has sat untouched for over two weeks now. Today is Thursday's Thoughts day, and you want to know what I think? I think I jumped back into blogging a little too soon. As most of you know, my recent blog break was due to my father's hospitalization. Well, he's still there, and I am still being stretched quite thin between my constant visits with him and my responsibilities as a wife and mother. The past two days, I've spent every free moment at home catching up with blogs or visiting other social networking sites. It occurred to me last night when I returned from the hospital at 10:00 pm to a sink full of dirty dishes that I had neglected to catch up with some very important things. So, I've decided to take the next few days to do just that. I hope to get my house back in order, get a little shopping done, and dive back into my WIP. I think I'll feel more up to social networking without all of that hanging over my head. You might still hear a tweet or two from me (sometimes I just can't resist), but I won't be back on blogger until Monday. Hope you all have a great weekend!

26 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

Priorites & family are FAR MORE IMPORTANT than blogging. Go. Do what you have to do. We'll still be here when you get back! I hope your father continues to do okay. =)

Melanie's Randomness

Mary E Campbell said...

So sorry about your dad - hope he gets well soon. Family of course should always come first. I have a huge pile of laundry that needs my attention as well.

Stephanie McGee said...

*hugs* Totally understand. We'll all be here when you come back. The Internet never goes away, but precious moments are fleeting.

The Book Nut said...

Sometimes it's hard to prioritize, especially when it means something you love doing has to wait. But you're right, when you take care of the important, sometimes less enjoyable things, you enjoy the fun stuff even more!!

I'll keep praying for you and your dad and family!

Have a productive weekend!

Heather Sunseri said...

Sometimes those life issues (dirty toilets) just finally grab your attention don't they?

Melissa said...

I hope your dad gets better!

Valerie Geary said...

Take as much time as you need! We'll still be around when you get back. Be with your family right now.

Patti said...

Sounds like you need to undue your shoes, put on some slippers and relax. Have a good weekend.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Take care of you! We'll be right here, Susan. Your priorities are in the right place. :-)

Carol Riggs said...

Argh, dishes, nooooo! (I'm not going into the kitchen, I'm not going into the kitchen...)

Good for you, for setting your priorities. Your WIP will be waiting for you, as well as the blogging community!

Jill Kemerer said...

Time with your father is so important. And time with your immediate family is too. The WIP, blogging, all can take a back seat, but I agree, the house can't fall apart. It's hard enough dealing with hard times, but sometimes dirty dishes and piles of laundry can be the last straw.

Praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I think there are a lot of things (esp. that involve family, and that includes housework) that are more important than a WIP. It'll be there! Family comes first. And as Jill (above says), time with your father is most important!!
Ann Best, A Long Journey Home

Terri Tiffany said...

Good plan! Take care.

Tabitha Bird said...

Look after you. That is so important. Take care :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. YOu take care of yourself too. :)

Paul Greci said...

Hi Susan. I'll look forward to your return :-)

Carolyn V. said...

I'm so sorry your father is still in the hospital. I agree with the others, your family comes first. ((hugs))

Sherrie Petersen said...

Family has to come first. Best wishes to you all.

Laura Pauling said...

You absolutely need to put your family and writing first. The blogosphere will always be here, waiting!

Susan Fields said...

Take as much time as you need - we'll still be here.

Guinevere said...

I hope your days off from blogging go well! Sorry about your father being in the hospital. Hope everything gets better for you and yours soon!

Danyelle L. said...

*hugs* You've got your priorities in the right place, and that's all that matters. I hope life slows down a little for you, enough so you can catch your breath and get some well deserved rest. :)

Kathryn Magendie said...

The break I took, 11 days, over Thanksgiving while visiting my family in texas was wonderful!

But beyond that, I've been thinking about that "stop and smell the roses" thing or the "count my blessings" thing a lot lately - so I've slowed down -it's lovely!

Hugs to you for your father . . . and take this time - you'll never regret it - the social networking world will wait *hug*

Nancy said...

Absolutely you should take a break. Enjoy your holiday plans and even you housework if you can. I will always be glad when you come back from blog vacation. Actually, you will be back before I will. I am not as profific as you are. Blessings on your father, you, and your family at this special time.

Anonymous said...

I love what Patti said. Undo your blogging shoes and relax into what is your first priority!

Colene Murphy said...

Awe wow. I wish I had found you sooner! A break is always helpful though. Life must come first. I'm sorry about your dad. Will have some well-wishes sent both your ways.