Saturday, May 30, 2009

Being Dormant

I mentioned in an earlier post how much I enjoy planting flowers, but I failed to point out that the same does not hold true for house plants. I've never had any luck with the indoor variety and have watched more than one shrivel up and scream, "All you had to do was water me!" Nevertheless, I've had one house plant for going on six years now. In fact, it's one of the only things we brought with us when we moved into our new home four years ago. When my husband gave it to me on Valentine's Day more than half a decade ago, its leaves were shiny, and it had stalks that bloomed glorious, white flowers. In recent years, the leaves faded, and I can't remember the last time it actually bloomed. That is until today. Suddenly, it's growing new wax-like leaves, and several new stalks have emerged with the white flowers that made me fall in love with the plant in the first place. This past Mother's Day, my husband bought me a new plant just like the old one, except this one was thriving. Call it coincidence if you must, but the arrival of the new plant seems to have triggered new growth in the old one. Maybe it was competition or perhaps inspiration. Either way, the old plant is active again. Okay, here's the part where I relate it to my writing: I've been in a dormant phase much like my plant was. Maybe I need a little inspiration to start blooming again.

No comments: