Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hmm...Which Shoes to Wear?

I'm barefoot today because I can't decide which shoes to wear.
The shoes I should be wearing are those of wife and mother. The house needs to be cleaned. I need to go to the grocery store. That laundry I mentioned yesterday is still there. The pile is smaller, but it's still there. The dishwasher needs to be unloaded and then reloaded. And so on...
The shoes I want to be wearing are those of a writer. My first novel could use a little attention. My two new projects have been at a standstill for over a week. My synopsis needs a complete overhaul. And my query letter needs some tweaking.
Boy, this writer/wife/mother thing was a lot easier when the kids were still in school! How many weeks are left of summer?

8 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

I don't even have kids, and still can't always find enough time in the day to get my work done and some writing. Good luck with all your tasks!

Karen M. Peterson said...

My current WIP has been at a standstill for a couple of weeks too. And I've had more free time in these past two weeks than I have in the past year. I guess it's just the subject. I'm attempting to write a romantic comedy when I'm feeling neither romantic nor funny. Makes it a little tough.

Maybe you can grab a recording device of some kind and make notes while you're doing all of the other wifely and motherly stuff?

Deb said...

Seems to be an epidemic of writer's slump going around! Not to worry. It's just time to enjoy some guilt free days of summer - soak up some sun, some inspiration, and call it research.

Susan R. Mills said...

Megan,
I think we are busy in different ways. Kids aren't the only thing that keeps people from writing. I'm just using it as an excuse!

Karen,
The recording device is a great idea! But I think I'm more like you. I'm trying to write something I'm not really in the mood to write.

Strange,
Yes, there does seem to be an epidemic! Every blog I've visited lately seems to be about not being able to write. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Ugh yes, I've been doing a lot of those chores today. Not fun.

I need to find more time to write! I get into a groove and then one of the kids need something or someone is at the door.

Susan R. Mills said...

Whispering Writer,
Don't you hate it when the groove gets interupted? Anyway, have fun in Texas! I hope you found room for Pepto.

Patti said...

All those different shoes. Although I love being barefoot, I hate household chores. They bog me down.

Susan R. Mills said...

I hate household chores too! I avoid them whenever possible. But yesterday, I really didn't have a choice.